First things first: breath in, breath out.
You’ve done your preparation and the big day is coming…
When feeling nervous, it is very common to mishear or misread something or even say something wrong. This can be a huge problem if you are taking an exam like the OET. So please, don't let your mind be your worst enemy.
Fight your nerves
Giving a patient some kind of bad advice would be a terrible mistake for a doctor or nurse in the field, and it is something to avoid during the OET exam as well.
While taking the OET speaking component, for instance, it is quite common for candidates to mispronounce words or stutter, which will reduce the quality of the communication. On the other hand, some people talk too fast, increasing the chances of making mistakes. The OET examiners will notice the nervousness, and as a doctor or nurse, you’re supposed to maintain a calm attitude and talk serenely with your patients.
Everyone deals differently with the same obstacles, but we will give you some advice that may help you feeling confident on the exam day.
Please note that feeling nervous before your exam is natural and that it doesn’t mean that you will fail. The more you practice, the more confident you will feel and the better the exam will be. Here’s what we suggest.
The week before:
- Prepare everything you need in advance. A couple of days before the test, make sure that you have all the documents and materials required by the OET.
- Use English as part of your daily life: create the habit of thinking in English, watch English movies or read English books.
- For the speaking test: prepare some lines and practice with a speaking partner in order to learn how to control you voice, your nerves, and your tone. Remember to talk clearly, smoothly and slowly.
- Develop a mental attitude. Think positive, say to yourself that you can do this (because you can!) and you will notice an instant boost in your life.
- Get enough sleep and exercise.
The day before your OET exam:
✔ Go for a walk or watch a movie.
✔ You don’t need to study everything the day before, it’s not possible to learn an entire language the day before the exam.
✔ You’ve worked hard to get to this point and now you deserve to recharge.
✔ Allow yourself to take a break and close your books!
Remember that we are an OET Teste Center, located in Porto - Portugal. If you want to do your exam with us, please visit the OET website and choose the date.